Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chicken Taquitos

I love all Mexican food! I live in Texas, so what we call Tex-Mex is readily available. Sometimes though, I want Mexican food but I don’t want to go out. This chicken, cooked in the crock pot with the Mojo marinade, tastes great due to the fresh citrus juices and Dorot herb cubes.  It is very versatile. In addition to the taquitos, I plan to make chicken enchiladas, quesadillas, tostadas and tacos. If I have any left, I will freeze some of the shredded chicken for a quick dinner at a later date. I love the ease of the Dorot frozen herbs and garlic. When I want to make something on the spur of the moment, chances of me having fresh herbs on hand are almost zero. Keeping a variety of Dorot frozen cubes in my freezer makes it much easier for me to make something on the fly. I know you will love them as much as I do. Enjoy!


Chicken Taquitos
by Sharyl
adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen blog

4 pounds frozen, boneless chicken breasts (buy frozen or freeze them)
10 cubes Dorot Crushed Garlic
6 cubes Dorot Chopped Cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 limes, juiced
2 oranges, juiced
10 dashes of hot sauce - more or less, depending on your taste 
3/4 cup olive oil
4 Tablespoons white vinegar
Corn tortillas

To make the Mojo marinade, add the Dorot garlic and cilantro cubes, minced jalapeno peppers, salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse a couple of times and then add the lime and orange juices, hot sauce, olive oil and vinegar. Pulse a couple of times to combine and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Place frozen chicken pieces in the crockpot. Cook on high for about 3 hours, until softened but not cooked. Remove the chicken and drain any juices. Return the chicken to the crockpot and add the marinade. Cook on low for 3-4 more hours, until the chicken can be shredded. Shred the chicken into a large bowl and add enough of the marinade from the crock pot to moisten the shredded chicken.

Spray a cookie sheet with baking spray and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Moisten 2 paper towels and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 45 seconds, until tortillas are warm.

Take one tortilla from the paper towels and add about 2 heaping Tablespoons of chicken to the bottom third of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly and secure with a toothpick through the center of the rolled tortilla. Lay taquitos on the prepared baking sheet and spray them lightly with the baking spray before putting them in the oven. This will help them get crispy. Bake in the oven until crispy, 14-16 minutes.

Remove toothpicks and serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment