Thursday, January 8, 2015

Reuben Rye Braid



What a pleasure it was to recreate a recipe from a friend's new cookbook, "Make Ahead Bread" by Donna Currie. Donna is an amazing bread wizard and for me to recreate something from her cookbook is overwhelming. Thankfully, we were allowed wiggle room. I loved doing it and I hope you will try this recipe. It turned out terrific and can be done up to two days in advance. I wholeheartedly recommend this cookbook to everyone!!!

Reuben Rye Braid
by Traci
Adapted from Make Ahead Bread by Donna Currie

Rye Dough:
3/4 cup water room temperature
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour or bread flour
1/2 cup dark rye flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
3 teaspoons room temperature butter

In a medium bowl layer each ingredient, ending with the yeast. Combine well. When it is combined, pour out onto a floured surface. Knead until it is very stretchy and elastic. Place back into bowl and let it rest in a warm space for about an hour. Rye bread takes a bit longer to rise. When it has risen, place some plastic wrap over the top and place it in the refrigerator until you need it.

Filling:
2 cups chopped corned beef
1 cup drained and rinsed sauerkraut
1 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese

I just chopped and grated into a bowl and mixed it together. If you want to layer it in there, that would be terrific also.

To prep the dough:
I pulled my dough out onto a floured surface and kneaded for
about 5 minutes. I rolled into a log shape. I sliced down the middle and then sliced about a quarter of an inch into both sides. I then peeled the sides back. I put the filling into the middle of the bread, pressing down lightly. I then cut slits into the side flaps and folded over the top. I did close off each end.

Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes. Brush with butter about 5 minutes before taking it out.

Serve with a side of 1000 Island dressing.

A great meal for a hungry group! Please go and get this book. You will never need another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment